Assistant Editor, Attitude
Salary, on application
This is a high profile role on an exciting title, working with a small team of full time editorial staff and freelancers. Attitude is a single masthead publisher; a small team producing content over several platforms with strict deadlines, limited resources and tight editorial budgets.
Attitude is the leading gay men’s lifestyle and fashion magazine, distributed in the UK. Established 22 years ago, Attitude is recognised as one of the leading global gay media brands.
As well as being a long-established in print, the magazine is at the forefront of digital tablet editions with a superior custom-designed app.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Working closely with the Editor to manage the magazine’s editorial content across print and digital in a four-weekly cycle
- Making sure that the production of the magazine is on course, checking copy and images are coming in and design team have what they need and pages are being subbed to make deadline.
- Being responsible for overseeing the Features for the print magazine – coming up with ideas, sourcing writers and photographers with the Editor and Editorial Director
- Working with the Online Editor to produce features ideas and content for attitude.co.uk.
- Reading all commissioned content before publication, making sure it is of the required quality, making the Editor aware of any problems.
- Producing and writing several sections within the magazine as directed by the editor
- Taking on additional writing duties as and when required by the editor
- Writing interviews and cover interviews when required
- Commissioning and liaising with writers
- Securing celebrity and exclusive interviews, photo shoots and content
- Booking and managing photo shoots, writers and other freelancers within budgets and deadlines
- Deputising for the Deputy Editor when required
- Ensuring that the title represents the most interesting gay and gay-friendly voices in the UK, and is representative of the gay population
- Regularly attending relevant events and representing Attitude
- Representing Attitude and being the face of the brand within the wider media industry and exploring PR opportunities for the brand
- A minimum of sixth months working on a national magazine in a senior editorial position
- Be able to demonstrate compassion and an understanding of the needs, challenges and desires of the modern gay man and Attitude’s target reader
- Have a keen interest, passion and razor sharp interest in gay politics and issues and compassion for those dealing with complex personal issues
- Be able to converse and write about popular culture, fashion, style, music, TV and film
- Have strong contacts with photographers, celebrity agents and writers
- At least six months experience of managing editorial budgets
- Experience of managing photo shoots
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be able to work with the commercial teams to deliver a profitable title
- Experience of a fast paced, deadline driven magazine environment
- Understanding of print media, mobile app publications and online editorial
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Be confident within a media PR role for the brand including broadcast, print and online
- Be able to work harmoniously in a team environment
- A proven ability to publically support the magazines editorial decisions online and/or in public forums at all times
- Exceptional leadership and management skills
- Be self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Be able to manage strict deadlines and budgetary pressures
- A proven ability to be proactive and find things to do when there is any down time
Please send your cv to [email protected]
Applications close 9th